He is a partner in Murfree & Goodman, PLLC, attorneys at law. He presently serves on the Board of The Christy-Houston Foundation, Inc. and was formerly chairman of its Board. He is currently on the Board of Directors of Middle Tennessee Medical Center and formerly served as Chairman of the Board. He is on the Board of MidSouth Bank.
He has formerly served as acting County Executive for Rutherford County, Tennessee and Chairman of the Rutherford County Commission. He served for many years as a County Commissioner. He has served as President of Rutherford County Bar Association; President of Rutherford County Chamber of Commerce; and Vice-Chairman of the Main Street Board. He has served on the Boards of St. Thomas Health Systems, UGF, American Cancer Society, Girl Scouts of America, Rutherford County 20/20, and the Webb School. He has served on the National Alumni Board of Vanderbilt Law School. He has served as a trustee of the Sam Davis Home, Smyrna, Tennessee. He has served twice as a hearing examiner for the Tennessee Board of Professional Responsibility for the Tennessee legal profession.
Significant Activities: He served as attorney for Middle Tennessee Medical Center representing it when it affiliated with Baptist and St. Thomas Hospitals in Nashville. As a result of these negotiations, The Christy-Houston Foundation, Inc. was created which has made over $85,000,000 in charitable contributions since its inception. While serving as Chairman of the Rutherford County Commission, he served as a representative for Rutherford County on the negotiating team which resulted in the location of Nissan Motor Manufacturing in Rutherford County, Tennessee. While on the Rutherford County Commission, he served as Chairman of the Health, Education and Welfare Committee and was instrumental in the establishment of the Rutherford County Ambulance Service. He was instrumental in the establishment of the Jesse Beasley Humane Shelter. In 2002, he was named by the Rutherford County Chamber of Commerce as Business Legend of the Year.
Club Memberships: Belle Meade Country Club, Stones River Country Club, Sons of the American Revolution, North Carolina Society of the Cincinnati.
Areas of Practice
- Corporate Law
- Real Estate Law
- Probate Law
- Business Law
- Estate Planning
- Business Litigation
- Approved Agent for Chicago Title Insurance Company
- Tennessee, 1969
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Tennessee, 1969
- Vanderbilt University School of Law, Nashville, Tennessee
- J.D. - 1969
- Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee
- B.A. - 1966
Honors and Awards
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell for more than 25 years
- 2002 Rutherford County Chamber of Commerce Business Legend of the Year
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Hearing Panel, Member, Board of Professional Responsibility of the Supreme Court of Tennessee, 1983 to 1983
- Hearing Panel, Member, Board of Professional Responsibility of the Supreme Court of Tennessee, 2012 to Present
- Rutherford County, Commissioner, 1971 to 1982
- Rutherford County Board of Commissioners, Chairman, 1980 to 1982
- Rutherford County, County Executive , 1982 to 1982
- Rutherford and Cannon County Bar Association, President, 1973 to 1973
- Tennessee Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- The Christy-Houston Foundation, Inc., Member, Boards of Directors
- Middle Tennessee Medical Center, Member, Boards of Directors
- MidSouth Bank, Member, Boards of Directors
- Chicago Title Insurance Company, Approved Agent
- Murfreesboro Estate Planning Council, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- The Christy-Houston Foundation, Inc.
- Phi Delta Phi